Frequently Asked Questions
Some information has been collected for you here to give you an insight into translations and software localization. For example you can find out all you need to know about placing orders for your work and the languages and file formats I work with.
What's the best way to place a translation order?
If you want to place translation work with transFR, you should provide the following information in order to avoid further inquiries and to save time:
- Source and target language (language and country)
- Provision of documents/delivery date and time
- Number of words or standard lines (55 characters)
- Target group and context
- Sample text
- Specific terms and phrases, if available
- Payment details, if specified
I translate from German (Germany, Switzerland) and English (Great Britain, USA) into French.
Moreover, I can electronically process all commonly translated languages for project management or software localization.
I only translate into my mother tongue, which is French. With years of translation experience, I can also translate documents into Swiss French (including the various typographic and linguistic differences). Moreover, I can electronically process all commonly translated languages for project management or software localization.
All formats of the SDL Studio CAT tool are supported:
- Adobe Acrobat: PDF (via a bilingual file or Microsoft Word)
- Adobe FrameMaker (7.x*, 8.x and 9.x)
- Adobe InDesign (CS2, CS3 and CS4, Interchange format files (INX), InDesign Markup Language (IDML)
- Generic delimited text (CSV, CAT files)
- Generic Text (TXT)
- HTML mit Active Server Pages (ASP), Active Server.NET (ASP.NET), Java Server Pages (JSP) and Include files (INC)
- Interleaf. (IASCII*)
- Java. (PROPERTIES)
- Microsoft Excel 2000-2003. (XLS, XLT)
- Microsoft Excel 2007 (XLSX, XLTX, XLSM)
- Microsoft Word 2000-2003 (DOC, DOT, RTF)
- Microsoft Word 2007 (DOX, DOTX.)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000-2003( PPT, PPS, POT)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 (PPTX, PPSX, POTX, PPSM)
- Microsoft. NET (RESX and XAML)
- OpenOffice (ODT, ODS, ODP)
- PageMaker: Tagged files TXT*
- QuarkXPress7**: QuarkXPress tagged files QSC, XTG, TTG, TAG
- QuickSilver 3.0: IASCII versions 8.5 and 8.6
- RESX: .NET XML-based resource
- SDLX files: ITD bilingual files SDL Trados Studio files SDLXLIFF bilingual files
- SGML*: SGM, SGML
- StarOffice: SXW, SXC, SXI
- TradosTag files: TTX bilingual files
- Ventura*: Tagged files TXT
- Windows Binary: EXE, DLL, OCX
- Windows Resource: RC, DLG
- Workbench RTF, XML, XSL: XLIFF documents (XLF)
- XML, XSL: XLIFF documents (XLF)
The format you work with isn't listed?
Contact me, and I will be happy to analyse your data in terms of translation.
What does software localization mean?
Localization in the field of software development stands for the customization of content (books, cinematic art, homepages), processes and products, in particular computer programs (software), to the local linguistic and cultural conditions which exist in specific geographical or ethnical sales regions or areas of use (country, region or ethnic group, etc.).
Software localization primarily encompasses the translation of a software product into another language. Usually, specific CAT programs are used for translations that are part of the software localization process. Consideration is also given to the date, time, currency and temperature specifications which apply in the area of use as well as units of measurement and conversion rates. Another important aspect is the customization of the product and the product documentation to the legal provisions in force in the area of use. Moreover, audiovisual adaptations that for example take the national taste in music into consideration are required as well. This also includes customization of colors, fonts and characters, audio and language versions as well as images (e.g. flags). In fact, it is precisely with the use of graphics that the adaption to the geographical and cultural conditions as well as the user's customs and preferences plays an important role.
What does software internationalization mean?
Internationalization means in computer science or software development the process of making a computer program ready to support other languages and cultures (without changing the source code).
Subject areas from previous jobs
From A for Application to Z for Zero-Day
- Applications for industry
- Computer (general)
- Computer: Hardware
- Computer: Software
- Computer: Systems, Networks
- Consumer goods
- Environment and Ecology
- GIS and map-based applications
- IT (information technology)
- Traffic planning
- Transport and Logistics
- Web security